Monday, March 16, 2009

The navy comes to Spain

Yesterday I did something spontaneous.

Mirais (Roomie) has a friend who is in the Naval Academy from home. Said friend hopped a Navy transport jet with some other friends and arrived in Spain a few days ago, and appeared in Sevilla last night with little forewarning. Roomie was going to go out with them alone, but I kinda was intrigued by the fact that they were so randomly spontaneous, which provoked me to get dressed and follow her even though it was almost midnight on a Sunday. To make a long story short they climbed an orange tree which was highly amusing and I didn't get back to my house until 5am. Then I got up again today at 10:30 and went with roomie to show them around Sevilla. I skipped a shower out of sleeplessness and roamed around Sevilla actually experiencing the way a tourist would. It was, needless to say, interesting.

Probably the most markedly touristy thing we did was go on a tour of the Torreo, which is the ring where they have the bull fights. Needless to say it was pretty cool. I'm not into bull fights, but it was def interesting to learn more about that aspect of Spanish culture, and now I can get a bullfighty postcard to send to someone without feeling like a complete poser.

After that we went to Las Columnas, which is one of the better tapas places in the city according to the Biblia (roomie's guidebook). I had a bocadillo (kinda like a sandwhich) of tortilla (kinda like a potato omelette <- don't knock it they know what's up) because its always the safest vegetarian friendly option. Then we had icecream. It was great. I spent money but I'll live. And I had a really good time. They were all really nice guys, more or less amusing and pretty chill all things considered, and it was fun to meet them. And I needed to meet some random people. I think from now on I'm going to try to do it once a week.

Now, as I am tired and have class, I must leave. But that's what was up.

No comments:

Post a Comment