Friday, February 20, 2009

the blog is getting long O.o

so very sorry that I haven't written in a while.

I am currently sitting in the computer lab chillin out writing back to people. I have discovered that upkeeping all of my ties to the US takes a ridiculous amount of time lol. It's not something you really think about when you can just call everyone, but when you can't...it becomes an issue. I still have a few more letters to write, but I may leave them for this afternoon since i have to go to the cafe to upload my pics cuz my comp is dead and i conveniently forgot my charger this morning.

Today I'm going to tell you about the mailing system in Spain.

We have post offices in the US, and they kind of have post offices here, but I've never actually seen one. Instead, they have Tobaccos, which are places where you buy cigarettes, and at the Tobacco you can also buy stamps (and chips and juice and bus passes...i know, weird). But you can't send anything out at a Tabacco. You have to find a place that sends things out. Luckily CCCS does, so it works, but if it werent' for that I'm pretty sure I would be screwed. Not that I've managed to send anything yet :-/ But I shall certainly fix that after I get my act together.

The United States prizes efficiency. You go to one store to do all of your shopping. Post Offices are organized. If you need to figure out how to do something you can go the internet site for any given place. If you need to throw out your trash you put it on the curb. Though admittedly that's in rural US and the organization may be different in cities. If you go to a bar, you can't get sweet ass coffee and a meal of pretty decent taste factor. The street signs are where you can see them. There ARE street signs.

Spain...not so much. So I mean there are good things and bad things. You don't think "oh this other outpost of the Wester World will be different beyond my wildest imaginations". But it is. Go figure. Makes me wonder how different going to Japan, to Iraq, to Nigeria, to Argentina, must be. Makes me a little worried about it.

Anyway, the point of the story is that this is my thirteenth post. Hopefully I'll have some amazing and meaningful cultural experience to share with you shortly.

Peace

1 comment:

  1. XOXO Staying in touch is hard, but don't worry, we're all still here and we don't have to talk to you everyday to still love you. We DO miss you though. XXXxxxXXXxoooOOOooOOoOOOooO

    ReplyDelete