Monday, February 9, 2009

The computer thing

So so far the most ridiculous aspect of this trip has been the computer thing. Spain is apparently not into computers so much. Which is fine, but it means that it's very difficult for me to access the internets. Which is kinda depressing coming from a place where I accessed it like every day. You also can't find any businesses which really advertise on the internet here, so you just have to guess where you're going by hearsay, which sometimes bombs out as I discovered Saturday night when a group of my friends tried to go out to the rumored discotecas on Calle Betis only to be unable to locate them. They ARE there. We just...didn't see them. Which kinda happens a lot here.

If you ever come to Sevilla, and are looking for a good area for bars that are quaint and friendly and full of people, then you should go to Calle Alfalfa. It's not a long street, but there is a chain of about six to ten bars that spread from one end of it to the other, and people just hang out and talk in the street, go inside and get a drink, then come back out and chill again. There aren't any drinking/drunk in public laws here, so you just kinda do what you want. Not meaning that you should pull an American and get wasted. Drinking is more of a social activity, designed to be enjoyed, and people don't drink to get drunk. They drink to talk.

They don't card you here either, and cigarettes are sold in vending machines. It's a very European thing, since I've experienced it before in Scotland. It's common for someone to go to one bar, drink a beer, and then fly off to another bar to have another, chilling all night and meeting people. You also eat tapas, small sandwiches or chips and nuts and olives, sometimes other things. This is the part of this city that is most interesting to me on the weekends. Not that I don't want to make it to a discoteca at some point.

Unfortunately, I am lacking in the music department and am needing to go find some music in Spanish so that I don't start pulling out my hair. But the musical scene here is not very strongly developed, like it is in the US or Latin America or even Britain. Spanish people import music more than anything, or so I'm told, and I have yet to find something that I really like in their music (though admittedly I haven't looked hard enough) besides their traditional pieces, of course.

I'm rambling. But yeah, that was my weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment